Natural Solutions for Allergies
It is a beautiful sunny day here in Austin and as I drove to the office it was clear that Spring has Sprung. The trees and bushes have gone from bare branches to lush green. I know I am being all whoo hoo and romantic, however for many, all that blooms can cause unwanted symptoms. It was the inspiration for this weeks topic on natural solutions you can use for allergies.
This year is predicted to have high levels of seasonal allergies. While the new growth is stunning it is also tough on those that suffer from secondary allergies. In Natural Functional Medicine we tend think of seasonal allergies or environmental allergies as secondary because in most cases we find that there is a primary reaction that causes the immune system to be overloaded.
What is an Allergy?
It is the body’s inability to manage inflammatory levels of prostoglandins and cytokines causing immune hyperactivity. When this happens the ability of the immune system to identify and remove pathogens has been compromised. If you were doing a blood test you would see elevated levels of antibodies. The five most basic types are IgE, IgA, IgD, IgG and IgM. IgE is the most common antibody for histamine response.
What are some of the Root Causes of Allergies?
- It could be a genetic problem, like MTHFR
- High Stress: (mental and physical) can cause the inflammation and therefore increase reactivity to allergies.
- Eating a Poor Diet that is high in processed foods, white flour and sugar could be the reason you have allergies.
- It could be that you have compromised gut that is leaky, stuck, and needs healing.
- Maybe it is and overburdened Liver that is struggling to perform Detoxification and therefore it can not break down histamine. This causes a histamine build up and you feel like you are sensitive to everything.
- It could be that you have an underlying virus that is keeping your immune system from healing
- It could be that you have an Autoimmune condition, like RA, Crohn’s or Hashimoto’s.
These are just a few of the reasons you are seeing an increase in your seasonal allergies. If your immune system is already compromised then your body just can not handle the increased exposure to all the pollen, blooms and possibly mold.
Allergy Symptoms that are seasonal usually show up as a drippy nose, a stuffy nose, sneezing, water and itch eyes, headache, a dry cough and itchy dry skin, generalized aches and pains, etc etc.
What Can you do to Feel Better?
Here are some Natural Solutions for Allergies.
- A Fresh Start: Remove Sugar and High Glycemic Carbs from your Diet
- A Clean Slate: Add in a bunch Veggies and aim for variety each day. This will also improve your Gut Health and add some much needed minerals.
- If you have Digestive issues reach out to me and ask about our Healthy Gut Protocol
- Support your Liver: We have a product called Antronex that is a natural anti histamine and it works wonders when used with our other Liver Support products like Livco and Liverplex.
- Take the top high sensitivity foods out of your diet: wheat, dairy, eggs, peanuts, shellfish, corn and soy. Too much? Start with one food group and eliminate it for 30 days and see how you feel.
- We can run labs to check if you have a hidden infection.
- Maybe you are in need of additional Mineral support like Zinc or do you need to load up on Antioxidants like Cataplex AC. or Glutathione.
- Check your home for Mold. I have sent several patients home with instruction to get a test kit from Amazon or Home Depot because I suspected Mold was the cause of their health issues.
- Take inventory of the Stressors in your life. What can you do to remove them or what can you do to rethink them. Meditation and Mindset are medicine. I also like Ashwaganda Forte as an adaptogenic and whole food Drenamin for adrenal support.
- Allerplex is the best all around combination support and covers liver, lung, antioxidants, and adrenal support.
After the year we have had this is a great time of the year to be like the flowers and the trees and Bloom!! In a good way.
Listen to your body and review the information above.
We are all alive because of brilliant biochemistry, each with our own unique makeup. What works for one person doesn’t always work for the next, even among those with the same set of health problems.
If you want to learn more about your own health case please check out our website and click the link to book an appointment We offer in person as well as phone and zoom consultations for people locally and across the country.
Have a great week and we love to hear from you so please feel free to ask questions or comment.
P.S. To purchase whole food and plant based support: Click Here for options