This Key Mineral : Not Trendy But Important!
Calcium is a key metabolic marker on blood tests and it is highly regulated by the body. I see labs and symptoms of Calcium imbalances all the time. It is very common and we can fix it! I know taking about calcium is not as buzzy as peptide medicine… It’s not trending on Tik Tok nor is it the lastest trend in our diet culture.
However, the fact of the matter is, that if we take care of the most important basics we will enjoy a health and high quality life.
CALCIUM: A KEY MINERAL
Calcium is a mineral most often associated with healthy bones and teeth, although it also plays an important role in blood clotting, helping muscles to contract, and regulating normal heart rhythms and nerve functions. About 99% of the body’s calcium is stored in bones, and the remaining 1% is found in blood, muscle, and other tissues.
In order to perform these vital daily functions, the body works to keep a steady amount of calcium in the blood and tissues. If calcium levels drop too low in the blood, parathyroid hormone (PTH) will signal the bones to release calcium into the bloodstream.
When the body has enough calcium, a different hormone called calcitonin works to do the opposite: it lowers calcium levels in the blood by stopping the release of calcium from bones and signaling the kidneys to rid more of it in the urine.
IMPORTANT FACTORS OF THIS KEY MINERAL
Symptoms of a calcium imbalance are most often due to missing co factors due to high stress, poor absorption, imbalances in diet and external stressor like toxins as calcium acts as a buffer to increase acidity.
- The absorption of calcium occurs in the upper part of the small intestine.
- Need enough protein in the diet to utilize calcium
- We need good stomach acid to be able to breakdown the proteins to utilize Calcium. If you are under a lot of stress then proper digestion shuts down and Calcium is not absorbed. Neither are other nutrient building blocks like protein, good fats and other important minerals.
- It works with magnesium, phosphorous , iron and fat soluble vitamins to promote tissue repair
- Calcium and Phosphorous are inversely related and they need to be in balance (10:4)and a high or low phosphorous intake will affect calcium.
- Calcium support muscle contraction including the Heart.
- Essential Fatty Acids transport calcium from the blood stream into the tissues.
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS OF A CALCIUM IMBALANCE
- Muscle cramps, foot and leg cramps at rest
- Anxiety and irritability
- Insomnia ( Restlessness)
- Mouth Sores
- Low Back Pain
- High and Low Blood Pressure
- Heart Palpitations
- Nose Bleeds
- Soft finger nails
- Skin Rashes and Hives
- Get Sunburnt easily
- Too much or not enough Vitamin D
- Kidney Stones
- Dental Issues
- Consume a lot of carbonated drinks (too much Phosphorous)
SUPPLEMENT SUPPORT FOR A CALCIUM A KEY MINERAL
- Calcium Lactate (it is one conversion away from Bi Carbonate)!
- Improve Digestion : Zypan, Digest Forte, Enzymix Pro, Enzycore
- Improve Fatty Acid profile with Cataplex F. (Especially if you have cramps at rest or a night)
- Add EFA’ s like Olprima EPA/DHA
- Make sure you are getting enough Vita D. I like the liquid versions from Apex as they are highly absorbable.
- For better Teeth use Biodent
- Cal Ma Plus if you suspect Parathyroid imbalances
- Arginex and Renafood for Kidney support/gout and calcium build up in the joints.
If you are a regular reader then you know I am a huge fan of whole food and herbs as support for the body. These suggestions can be found by clicking the link. Use my code for a 10% discount on your purchases. (W8MJSC).
You can also click here for the other supplement support mentioned or for one stop shopping https://us.fullscript.com/welcome/pmartindr/signup
I hope you enjoyed this week’s post and it helped you see the bigger picture and see that basics while not trendy have incredible value.
Have a healthy week