Determine your gut health.
The last couple of years has caused a rise in digestive issues for many people. The research says that 40% of the population suffer with GI issues.
The constant stress (living in the danger zone) and less than stellar choices ( Diet and Lifestyle habits) have created an environment that if not kept in check can lead to all sorts of mood disorders like anxiety and depression, inflammation, weight gain, foggy brain, skin challenges and more.
It can get confusing if you go to Dr Google and do symptom checks. It is challenging to really understand how the dots are connected and then determine what should you do about it.
So let’s break it down into Three Stages so you can determine your Gut Health.
Stage one is where you have Microbiome disruption. That means that the normal bacteria/ flora in the gut become out of balance. Signs and symptoms that might appear :
- Occasional Constipation
- Disrupted Sleep
- Gas 3-4 hours after a meal
- You have a un detected food sensitivity
- You get headaches on the Left side of your head
- You have certain food or drink cravings
- You eat the same foods all the time
- You have stuffy nose
- Increase your intake of fiber
- Increase polyphenol foods (Cranberry, Blueberries, Green foods, etc)
- Take a Multi Strain Probiotic that also has Prebiotics in the formula (Prosynbiotic is a good example) or Sibotica or Strenthia from Apex)
- Take a Butyrate supplement (Tributyrin 350™ from Apex is my recommendation)
- Eat a variety of different healthy foods to support the diversity needed for Gut health
- Remove inflammatory Foods.
Stage two is when there is organ involvement. This is the stage where digestion and absorption of food is disrupted. The initial organs involved are the stomach, the pancreas and the gallbladder.
Constant stress can cause low acid production and therefore we can not breakdown protein foods. Low Stomach acid or Low HCL production is also a problem because HCL in the stomach signals the Pancreas to release enzymes to breakdown starches and sugars. HCL also signals the Liver to tell the Gallbladder to release Bile to breakdown and emulsify fats. Some other things that can cause low stomach acid are issues with the Vagus Nerve, a TBI and low blood sugar ( have to eat right now kinda stress). Signs and symptoms might be:
- Acid Reflux
- Clearing your throat all the time
- Gas immediately after eating
- Bloating after you eat
- Bad Breath
- Loose Stool
- Needing to go to bathroom #2 often
- Always hungry
- Start having immune issues
- Start having skin issues ( Saggy, Itchy etc)
Determine which food group is the problem: Add the support needed.
- Protein Digestion: Zypan, Hi Pep, Digest Forte
- Fat Digestion: AF Betafood, Betacol, Choline, BileMin
- Carbohydrate Digestion: Enzycore, Multizyme and Enzymix Pro (it Covers a lot of bases)
- Calm Inflammation: L Glutamine, Repairvite
This is the stage where there are pathogens involved, dysbiotic overgrowth, infection like H Pylori and autoimmune challenges. Signs and symptoms:
- White Coated Tongue
- Itchy Bum
- Skin Rashes
- Sugar cravings
- Histamine intolerance
- More and more Allergies
- Tooth Decay
- Genital Yeast Infections
- Cystic Acne
- Brain Fog and Cognition Issues
- Anxiety and Depression
- Pain and Fluid Retention
- AI Paleo Diet (ask me and I will send you a copy)
- Anti microbial, anti parasitic and anti yeast herbal formula (GI SYNERGY covers all the bases and very effective) Viranon, Cat’s Claw
- Mastica and H-LPR supplement, Slippery Elm, DGL and others.
- Reduce Stressors and include a calming practice
TEST DON’T GUESS
If you are reading this and you are not sure which stage you are in or you feel like you might have all three, then we can test to find out.
We offer the GI Map Test and it is a simple at home stool test. It is also one of the more cost effect tests available and it uses PCR technology.
We have had good success with patients doing the Labs, making diet modifications, lifestyle changes and supplement support for complex GI Issues.
Here’s how to shop for Quality proven brands that I use in my practice.
If you want or need my help I am here to serve. BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Have a Healthy Week and I hope that this article helps you understand more about how the GI system works.