Supporting your Metabolism as you Age
Metabolism does slow down as we get older. However there are ways to we can mitigate that and sometimes even improve it depending on where you are on your health journey.
WHAT IS METABOLISM?
METABOLISM IS THE SUM OF CHEMICAL REACTIONS IN A LIVING BEING.
These reactions happen in the cells via the mitochondria.
Mitochondria are often referred to as the powerhouses of the cell. They help turn the energy we take from food into energy that the cell can use. Present in nearly all types of human cell, mitochondria are vital to our survival. They generate the majority of our adenosine triphosphate (ATP), the energy currency of the cell.
So, in summary:
- The body uses food as fuel to create energy to build new cells
- The body also breaks down this fuel to eliminate waste
- The system slows down when there is toxic build up
88% OF AMERICANS HAVE METABOLIC DISEASE.
That is a huge number and it’s often due to these three reasons:
A) raw materials
B) exposure to toxins
C) poor elimination
SOLUTIONS TO IMPROVE CELLULAR HEALTH AND METABOLISM
You Can make lifestyle choices that are Geo-protective and support energy by
- Look at the quality of the food you take in, how much and how often. Timing matters.
- Provide quality raw materials found in their organic form: Chemically processed food use extra Energy!
- Eat a variety of foods and not too much. WFH (work from home):SFF ( Snack from fridge) have been a big issue the last 17 months.
- Can’t fast your way out of a poor diet.
- Do not eat in your car, on the run, standing at the kitchen counter etc.
Rest and Digest. Enjoy what you eat. I like to call it the Italy effect. You eat less and your body can actually digest and absorb the food you are eating.
- We can all agree that everyone could eat more Veggies and Green Leaves
60% of us do not eat enough veggies.
- Fat burner versus a Sugar burner: Hypoglycemic, Insulin Resistance, Hyperglycemic then you have a metabolism issue. Slowly adjust to more “good” for you fats and no sugar.
- To make more energy you to have to Move. Movement improves mood and stimulates anandamide and internal mood booster… too much movement for a long period can cause stress and inflammation. One reason for slower metabolism as we age is decreasing muscle mass. Muscles have a faster metabolism (i.e., use up more energy) than fat tissue. So, a great way to increase metabolism is to build muscle and prevent muscle loss. Muscles also provide support to bones and help to decrease osteoporosis. Movement also stimulates the lymphatic system and helps to eliminate waste.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO TO KICKSTART MY METABOLISM?
As we said earlier, metabolism is a series of chemical reactions that digest food, convert food to energy, and use that energy to move and think. How can you best support these chemical reactions? One simple way is to provide cofactors: vitamins and minerals that drive the chemical reactions.
B vitamins, CoQ10 and Magnesium are the most obvious ones. They are cofactors that are needed in almost every step of the energy pathway.
I like: B6 Niacinamide, Cataplex B, Cataplex B12, EZ mag,
Most of us could also benefit from additional antioxidants as they are required to help take out the trash safely through the detox pathways:
Antioxidants: like Glutathione, Cataplex AC, Cataplexy D, and Cataplex E, and Cellular Vitality which has CoQ10 in the formula.
It could be that you need more Minerals? Zinc, Iron, or Selenium.
You might also need Liver support: Check out last weeks blog.
Supplements: Quality is Key!!! Don’t fall for the Metabolism booster fizzy drinks.
HOW CAN I LEARN IF MY METABOLISM IS SLOW?
There are certain Lab tests that look at Cellular Health.
- Organic Acid Tests :
- Our standard lab panel,
- Nutrigenomics and more.
I would also get your Hormones checked. There are several tests available and I am happy to discuss with you further. To make an appointment: Click Here:
BTW: Check out the cool pic. It is a photo of the inside of a human cell.
Have a Happy and Healthy week