Makes one, 9-inch quiche
What You’ll Need:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 small onion, diced
2 cups mushrooms, sliced (6-7 medium mushrooms)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red pepper, diced
2 cups kale, center rib removed & shredded
4 large eggs
1 cup fat-free half & half
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
Fresh ground pepper
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Let the onions cook until slightly translucent, but without browning, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until their liquid has fully evaporated, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and red pepper, and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in kale, and continue to cook until kale begins to wilt, about 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs until light and fluffy. Whisk in the half and half, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- Add the cooked vegetables to the pie dish. Top with egg mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, until edges and light golden and the center remains slightly jiggly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
What’s your favorite brunch staple? Is it a healthier choice, or necessary indulgence? Share with us in the comments below!